Come Have a Cuppa!

Come Have a Cuppa!

NEED A WEAPON?

Pray the Rosary (daily).
Our Lady of Fatima, Ora pro nobis.
One who has hope lives differently. - B16

Saturday, November 29, 2008

Good morning Meme, I Love Books (Duh!)

My thanks to AussieCoffeeShop (Therese) for this book award/meme!

These are the rules: Pass this on to 5 blogging friends. Open the closest book to you, not your favorite or most intellectual book, but the book closest to you at the moment, to page 56. Write the 5th sentence, as well as two to five sentences following that.

A Concise History of the Catholic Church by Thomas Bokenkotter.
Page 56, 5th sentence and a wee beyond:

Most Church Fathers allowed marital intercourse only if procreation was directly intended. But the first Church legislation against contraception apparently was not passed until the Council of Braga in 572. Augustine accentuated the Church's rigorous attitude toward sex by his fateful association of original sin and sexuality.

I didn't think I was going to have to write about sex this morning, but there you are. But, if we can't get away from the subject, at least it is presented through the eyes of the Church and not some illicit novella we couldn't pass up at the Five and Dime, yeah?

I tag:

Dawn at a Helping Hand
Christine at Meet Me At The Gates
Suzanne at Suzanne's Sisterly Sharings
Jen at This Family of Ours
Jen at Moments In Time

Sorry no Link's . . . suffering from an all-night-er with my left ear. Earache of the century and I now sound to myself like I'm speaking out of a tin can - a very large tin can!

7 comments:

Christine said...

At least we live in the day and age when we can talk about sex unlike our parents.

Get better soon!!!

Jamie Jo said...

Had to laugh at your sex comment!!


I'm in my husband's office though and the closest book is Alcoholics Anonomous. (my husband is a LADC!)

Jamie Jo said...

OH, yeah, prayers for your ear to get better!!! You poor thing!!

Sarah - Kala said...

Christine- I agree with you that we are blessed to be living in an age where we can discuss it. I still think it's overdone and by the wrong folks (media, schools). I'm sure you agree with me there. Can you imagine? If I were a teacher and got roped into teaching sex-ed I'd flip. I can teach it clinically, but then, I firmly believe it is not my place to do so with anyone other than my own kids.

Jamie - glad you got a laugh! I kind of thinks it's funny that what I landed on was sex. I was thinking, "Uh, God? Why this? Above all things, why this???" waaaahhhh hahhhh haaaaaaa (crying). Thanks for your prayers. I need them. It isn't the pain that gets to me so much as having to hear everything so "funny" - and I know it will be a few days to a week before my hearing levels out to normal again. I mean, what is normal for me. So, in the mean time, I have to say "WHAT?" every time anyone speaks to me . . . which is annoying when it's those you live with that A) know you're already hearing impaired and B) know you've just had a horrendous earache. So, no, you can't bang on your snare drum, sorry, and no, please don't plug in the electric guitar. Um, can you all turn yourselves down a few notches? I feel like I'm in an airport here. :)

Jen said...

LOL! LOL! I'm sorry, but how funny is that when you get tagged for a book meme, that's what you end up having to write up...That is beyond funny! I hope your ear feels better. I had a massive ear ache with this sinus infection I've got...had it yesterday...called a homeopathic doc I know (because I hate going on antibiotics if I don't have to), and she gave me the Hylands ear tablets. For babies, and they worked like a charm! Try em...you can get them at any health food store...

Sarah - Kala said...

Thanks for the tip, Jen. I'll amble on over to the chemists after Mass tomorrow. Thanks!

Therese said...

lol I am laughing here too. Sorry to hear you are feeling unwell.