Come Have a Cuppa!

Come Have a Cuppa!

NEED A WEAPON?

Pray the Rosary (daily).
Our Lady of Fatima, Ora pro nobis.
One who has hope lives differently. - B16

Friday, January 22, 2010

Blame Me, Blame His Dad, And Blame God (if you believe in Him)

I was reading about Grant Desme, formerly a player for the Oakland A's . . . he is hanging up his gear to don a Roman collar.  The comments following the announcement really . . . make me angry.

The comments call him a moron, a loser, a douchebag, and they blame the parents, and some even hint that he's leaving baseball (where there aren't enough little boys to prey on).  Give me a break, people!

If you're not Catholic, I can understand misgivings about "giving up" all the worldly things on some levels (really, it's just sex they are worried about - oh, and since Desme was in for some serious money, the money).  Reality is, you want a young man to know what he's giving up (and to still desire being married with kids and doing good for the world in any occupation) . . . I think men who give up their own family have gained so much more.  No, it is not easy!  It is not simple!  Today too many folks have hangups and can't believe a man would give up sex completely . . . to serve God. There is so much more to being a priest than even I can ever know - the ups and downs, the giving and taking.  I don't know that much, but I know enough to appreciate what these men do to serve God and the Church.

Young men raised Catholic should be raised with an openness to the call to the Priesthood or life of a religious.  I say should, because I do not think all of them are!  And, why not?  What are we afraid of?  Honestly:  IF WE PROFESS TO BELIEVE IN GOD, IF WE PROFESS TO LOVE GOD WITH ALL OUR HEART, ALL OUR MIND, ALL OUR SOUL . . . THEN WE ARE BIG FAT BLOODY LIARS IF WE DENY OUR SONS AND DAUGHTERS TO BE CALLED BY GOD FOR HIS PURPOSE, ESPECIALLY IF CALLED TO THE LIFE OF A RELIGIOUS OR PRIEST (in the case of our boys).  We do not love God if we deny Him our children. 

It is never ever ever ever ever about us and what we want.  We should always align our wills with that of our Creator.  Otherwise, I think life is empty of all meaning and we do not trust Him at all. 

Just some thoughts from a mother who's youngest feels called to the priesthood (and the other two are open to God's call as well):  JUST BLAME ME.  This blame I can take proudly!

18 comments:

Rev. Daren J. Zehnle, J.C.L., K.C.H.S. said...

Very well said!

Charlotte said...

I agree with all that you said here!

Suzanne said...

I'll blame you..allrighty and I'll thank you while I'm at it..that you are teaching and sharing with them to be open..to keep our Catholic Faith alive until the end of time!
Amen, Momma! :) Sincerely, I am with you on all of this too..great post!

melody said...

Yes! Please blame me, too! I'm just so excited to read about this that I could burst. I'm telling you, this Year of the Priest business is going to yield fruit like we haven't seen for a long time. And haven't we been praying for vocations? Well, here they come! And yes, I hope we can ALL take the blame on this one:).

I'm still praying for your boy, Sarah. Keep praying for mine. God's will be done!

Unknown said...

Blame me too! With 3 boys, I pray that AT LEAST one of them might be called to priesthood. And if my daughter wants to be a sister, that's great too! I just want them to be OPEN to what God wants for them.

EXCELLENT post, Sarah!

Sarah - Kala said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sarah - Kala said...

Mahalo, all. What breaks my heart is that none of these people even know who this young man is - nor will they ever - unless he becomes a Priest. You know? Also, it hurts my heart that people (in a way) are judging my son - who is, at his tender age - judging him as a loser, a molester, a monster, . . . and in the light of that, I feel for these boys and men, who trust they are doing something more noble than they realize, but they believe it to be good and holy, because the Call is from Our Lord. So, yeah, it hurts. They are doing something wonderful - and so many are ignorant of it.

Mimi said...

I totally agree, I saw the headline and smiled. Many Years to him!

I also don't put any stock in comments after stories on news sites, for some reason, it brings out all kinds of crazies.

A Bit of the Blarney said...

I have three sons and all chose the road "most" traveled. Though I prayed for the "call" God apparently had other plans for them!! All are faith-filled men love with God and family. I pray always for vocations. "If we pray they will come." [a really bad paraphrase from the "Field of Dreams!!"] This was a wonderful post and I'll be adding Grant Desme to my prayers along with Nick and Chad! Have a grand weekend!! Cathy

Blessings each day said...

Beautiful, wonderful and many kudos to Desme...may these negative comments only spur him on to do greater things for our God!!

It would have been a super blessing to me if one of my three had chosen such a vocation but now I continue to pray that they will just find their way back to the church for they all profess a belief in God (thank You, Lord, for that blessing).

IN fact, I think it takes a more "manly" man to follow this priestly vocation.

blessings and hugs,

marcy

Suzie L. said...

Great post... I hadn't heard about Desme until reading your post.

Sarah said...

This is the first I have heard of this, and I think it is GREAT news. What a wonderful role model he will be to other young men! At our parish, we always pray a "Prayer for Vocation" after the petitions, and one line says, "Bless our families, bless our children. Choose from our homes those needed for Your work." And every time, I think, "I wonder what the Lord has in store for my little ones." I think it would SO wonderful if one of them was called to be a priest or religious. And if they're called to marriage, may they have holy and blessed unions with their spouses =)

Corinne said...

Awesome! Thank you!!

Lisa said...

Amen! His courage in the face of the criticism he must be PERSONALLY getting on a day to day basis is the stuff of true greatness. It's no mistake that this young man has been called by God. God bless him! God bless his parents!

Renee said...

YES!

Have courage is what Padre Pio used to say. And we should, our boys should, and we mothers/parents should.

All vocations in life require great efforts, and for the most part, I believe they are already ordained by God for our purpose. As a Catholic we trust and believe in his plan for us. It's the freewill that can change things, but God knows that too. He is so good!Baseball players too can don a collar, oh yes they can!

Even with our daughters, we must allow them to be open to God's plan for their lives. For instance, when planning hopechests with our girls, we specify all of the items they are collecting along the course of their youthful years will be for the good of their future vocations, whatever that turns out to be, therefore all items must include those useful for any vocation, not just being a wife and homemaker.

Wow, just catching up with your blog here Sarah, love your new heart theme, get a chuckle from your writings, all so good to keep in touch with you in Hawaii! Trade ya our snow for your sun?? LOL Hugs!

Anonymous said...

There is NO earthly reason for anyone to recommend a man become a priest. Only divine reasons.

Barb Szyszkiewicz said...

Well put!

breadgirl said...

Hello

A very well stated post. I had never heard of this young HERO (he is a true Hero) as baseball is not big in this country. However, I am very proud of him and I will pray for him. Thank you for this excellent post and God bless you.